Tuesday, October 1, 2013

How Indians can change the impact of a simple idea

So I saw this video recently (Youtube Link), which talks about how a simple idea of helping people find parking spots is making waves in South Korea.
Honestly, I think it was a very good idea and initiative that is helping the planet save on fuel consumption, help reduce the inconvenience to people. And hence overall a novel idea. I have faith that there are always people who might be able to come up with an idea that can help in the "Greater Good". Apologies for the cliche.

However, I wonder how this situation would have turned out in India-

Scenario: A major petrochemical company (HPCL/BPCL/IOCL) puts these balloons at different parking spots.
1) People would park so wonderfully that they would end up pushing down 2 balloons - hence probably occupying 2 spots.
2) If a family drives and occupies that spot, then the balloon gets taken away for the kid. Its the birthright you know.
3) People would start placing bricks to demarcate their parking spots. Conversations would go like- "Hey, I had my brick placed there. That spot belongs to me. You wanna take it, you gotta come and fight for it."
4) A "Poor" man would want to make his "Living" (with a Budwiser?) - I am sure the balloons would be taken away in less than 24 Hours and would be sold roughly 20meters away (or if they are bold enough, right at the same spot).
5) India has a lot of entrepreneurial spirit. Indians love to monetize on resources that don't belong to them. Be it illegally encroaching land, footpaths, taking away anything of value as long as it is on the open. Some random group of people would make it a business and start charging people a "nominal fee" for parking in the "New and Special parking Lot" even if the Petrochemical company would have arranged this for free.
6) A few teenagers would probably run around the parking lot bursting the balloons to see who brings down the most. (Though I guess this one can happen in any country)
7) Uhh... I think I'm unable to figure out other possibilities of how Indians in general would have made this initiative worth nothing....

Am I being too negative and judgmental of my own countrymen?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The illegal entrepreneurship skills of Indians have been shaped by necessity, and necessity rarely cares about morality!

I tend to look at all this and smile at the narrow short sighed view of Indians, quite like a kid focused on the very next moment rather than sustainable existence. :)