Friday, November 15, 2013

the complete airport experience

Airports are great places to see peculiar people. I flew from Hyderabad to Delhi today and throughout the journey I found very ......well, funny situations.

Most of us would have either already seen or been part of the desperate queue that gets formed at the time of boarding as soon as the boarding announcement is made. I have actually seen people run to form the queue. I'm a bit surprised as to why people not realize that once you have a boarding pass, its quite unlikely that the airplane with takeoff without you. The ground staff usually is desperately trying to find the passengers left behind. But while I make fun of the situation and how so many of us behave, I need to acknowledge that sometimes it helps to be quick in boarding the aircraft. So many times I have faced a situation where I'm among the last few people to board and there is no space in the overhead storage areas. This brings to light another nasty habit of us Indians- we travel heavy. Even men.
The same habit of ours continues when the aircraft lands. Everyone gets up from their seats and desperate to de-board. (in all fairness, I have seen the same thing on a Delta flight from Detroit to LAX.)
However, the same habit of rushing to get on or get off continues with the buses. So today while boarding the bus from the airplane to the terminal I was in the queue and about to board the bus just when two short and heavy ladies rushed from my left and right sides and struggled on to board the bus. I was a bit taken aback by the "ambushing" body language. But then I have learnt to let it go.
Well, these buses also usually get overloaded with people squeezed together. But then I can't blame the airline for saving the bus trips. Its a cut throat world and cost is all that counts.

In the bus I happened to stand next to this guy who was playing subway surfer on full volume. The same guy had really weird ringtones for his whatsapp messages. And then he started singing some song in a very low tone. Talk about crammed spaces and etiquettes.

well this brings to an end to my airport experience where I was shifting between getting irritated and finding these same irritating things funny.
Since I'm not out of the airport yet... I may still come across more such funny situations. But for now, let me post this and hail a cab.

Posted from my Windows Phone

No comments: